Subscriber Login

Data & Statistics

Sudan: Growth in Electricity Transmission Network [free access]

March 12, 2018

The country’s transmission network comprises 66 kV to 500 kV transmission lines. Sudan’s transmission network is owned and operated by the Sudanese Electricity Transmission Company (SETCO).

 

At the end of 2016, Sudan’s high voltage (220 kV and above) transmission network spanned over 7,486 km, of which the majority was operated at the 220 kV voltage level. Since 2012, the transmission network has increased at a CAGR of 1.9 per cent. However, the transmission network saw a significant decline of 13.4 per cent during 2016.

 

Table 1: Growth in Sudan's transmission line length (km)

Voltage

2012

2013

2014

2015

2016

220 kV

        5,984

       5,984

        6,256

          7,683

       6,520

500 kV

           965

           965

          966

             966

            966

Total

       6,949

        6,949

        7,222

          8,649

        7,486

Annual growth rate (%)

-

0.0

3.9

19.8

(13.4)

Note: Sudan’s high voltage network also comprised 1,129 km of 110 kV and 233 km of 66 kV lines in 2015.

Source: Arab Union of Electricity

 

Sudan’s transformer capacity stood at 10,598 MVA at the end of 2016. Of the total, 87 per cent of the transformer capacity was at 220 kV and the remaining 13 per cent was at the 500 kV voltage level. Since 2012, the transformer capacity has increased at a CAGR of 2.5 per cent. Also, significant growth of 8.8 per cent can be seen from 2015-16.

 

Table 2: Growth in Sudan’s transformer capacity (MVA)

Voltage

2012

2013

2014

2015

2016

220 kV

        5,827

       5,827

      6,197

          7,970

7,148

500 kV

        4,110

        4,110

        3,810

          2,100

3,810

Total

        9,937

        9,937

      10,007

        10,070

      10,958

Annual growth rate (%)

-

0.0

0.7

0.6

8.8

Note: Data is from the period after the division of the country into Sudan and South Sudan. The above data does not include MVA capacity at 110 kV and 66 kV.

Source: Arab Union of Electricity